Odor: Your First and Last Concern
Odor is the number one reason composters are shut down. Owners developing new facilities or altering existing ones without properly understanding the odor implications are putting their entire investment at risk.
Managing Oxygen Levels
- Aeration systems that keep oxygen levels at 13%
- Efficient aeration systems that keep air flowing even when your pile has settled
- Building “compost recipes” that are balanced and properly bulked
Scrubbers and Covers
- Running exhaust air through a biofilter: A 5ft deep bed of wet wood chips housing billions of bacteria that eat up to 95% of the odorous compounds
- Running exhaust air through a biocover or biofilter cover. Biocovers use the same principle as a biofilter however they rest upon the surface of a positively aerated pile.
- Using acid scrubbers and washboxes. Under certain circumstances feedstocks require additional treatment to remove ammonia and other problematic compounds.
Odor Control & Modeling
- Factoring in wind conditions to our advanced control system to lower odor emissions to high impact receptors
- Enclosing aeration systems and treating all exhaust air
“I first met Jeff around 1992, when my agency assigned me to find out why a major composting operation in our jurisdiction was creating odors that could be smelled 11 miles away. At that time Jeff was the manager of the LRI facility in Gig Harbor, WA. Jeff took me under his wing and taught me the basics of composting, and how to do it odor free. As the last two decades have gone by, Jeff became the go-to guy in the State of Washington, whenever I needed to learn something about composting not yet covered in the literature. My agency has never had to write a nuisance ticket on ANY of the facilities he was involved with. Lenz Composting, the composting factory at LRI Puyallup, and LRI Gig Harbor facility all have clean records with us. If you have two dozen suddenly deceased cattle to compost, (all in one pile), there is no one else I would trust to do the job. A couple of winters ago Jeff did just that at Lenz Composting, ODOR FREE! I’ve seen it, I’ve smelt it, and my agency has pictures to prove it.”
- Claude Williams, PE; Puget Sounds Clean Air Agency, Seattle WA, psclearair.org